When your reader advances beyond the Early Readers, but isn't quite ready to tackle a full-sized J novel, transitional books are the answer.
Transitional fiction typically has...
- A main character between the age of 8-10
- One main plotline
- A length between 60-110 pages
- Language and vocabulary accessible to children reading at a 2nd-3rd grade level
- Lexile levels in the range of 350-750
- Subjects, concerns, issues and emotions appropriate for 7-10 year old readers
- Reader-friendly font size and white space
- Illustrations to support the text, at least one or two per chapter.
Reading Lists - Start Here!